Academics Agree with Dr. MacKenzie: Golf Promotes Health, Happiness
'One of the reasons why I, a medical man, decided to give up medicine and take to golf architecture was my firm conviction of the extraordinary influence on health of pleasureable excitement, especially when combined with fresh air and exercise. How frequently have I, with great difficulty, persuaded patients who were never off my doorstep to take up golf, and how rarely, if ever, have I seen them in my consulting room again.... most people know that golf and other games promote the health and happiness of the community . . . . I hope to live to see the day when there are the crowds of municipal courses, as in Scotland, cropping up all over the world.... There can be no possible reason against, and there is every reason in favor of, municipal courses.'
-- Alister MacKenzie, The Spirit of St. Andrews, pp. 249-250.
'To play is to have fun, but is's also good for you,' San Francisco Chronicle, May 25, 2012, page 1, reporting on U.C. Berkeley academic conference, 'The Importance of Being Playful':
News & Events
- Recap: Seventh Annual Alister MacKenzie Tournament to Save Sharp Park Monday, July 23, 2018The course was beautiful as always. The greens were as good as they have been in years. Some days, Sharp Park can just overwhelm you with its combination of beauty, history, art, recreation, and community. This was one of those days.
- Sharparkology 101: A lecture at the Pacifica Historical Society Monday, June 25, 2018SFPGA President "Professor" Richard Harris discusses the origins of golf in Scotland, its early history in America, the central place held by Alister MacKenzie in the history and practice of world golf architecture, and the artistry of his work at Sharp Park.
- UPDATE: The 2018 Online Silent Auction Concluded.
Congratulations to the winning bidders. Thursday, May 17, 2018The Seventh Annual Alister MacKenzie Benefit Tournament is on Saturday, May 26, but on-line bidding for the silent auction is open now! Bid on fantastic courses and golf adventures including Bandon Dunes, Friar's Head and Royal Dornoch. All auction proceeds go to our ongoing campaign to Save and Preserve Sharp Park.
- Election Day June 5. Don't forget to vote! Sunday, May 13, 2018On June 5 San Francisco voters will select a new mayor to replace the late Ed Lee. Your vote matters.
The San Francisco Public Golf Alliance Endorses Prop 68 to protect our water, parks, and natural resources.
- Sign up for the Alister MacKenzie Tournament to Preserve Sharp Park - May 26! Monday, January 22, 2018Download and submit your entry form for the Seventh Annual Alister MacKenzie Benefit Tournament to Preserve Sharp Park Golf Course in Pacifica. All proceeds go to supporting the effort to preserve and protect our muni golf gem.