California Assembly Resolution re Sharp Park Golf Course Historic Preservation Day
SACRAMENTO: California Assemblyman Jerry Hill (D. San Mateo) and State Senator Dr. Leland Yee (D. San Francisco), by Members Resolution No. 976, recognized May 19, 2012 as 'Sharp Park Historic Preservation Day.' (A copy of the Resolution can be downloaded - 6MB- by clicking here.)
The Resolution was presented by San Mateo County Supervisor Carole Groom on May 19 to Sharp Park Golf Course supporters, who rallied at the golf course for the Sharp Park 80th Anniversary Tournament and Celebration.
The Resolution recites that May, 2012 has been declared National Preservation Month, and that Sharp Park Golf Course has been designated an Historical Resource by both San Francisco Planning Department and the Pacifica Historical Society, and has been designated a nationally-significant, at-risk cultural landscape by the Washington D.C.-based Cultural Landscape Foundation. The golf course is the work of internationally-preeminent golf architect Alister MacKenzie. And since its opening in 1932, Sharp Park Golf Course has served as a social and community center for the Sharp Park District of Pacifica, and serves as well as the home of high school golf teams from San Francisco and Pacifica, and serves as the venue for fundraising activities for San Francisco and Peninsula churches, schools, social organizations, an charities.
Assemblyman Hill--whose 19th Assembly District includes the cities of Northern San Mateo County, and Senator Yee-- whose 8th Senatorial District includes San Francisco and Northern San Mateo County, concluded their Resolution by 'encourag[ing] the residents of San Francisco and San Mateo counties to participate in efforts to preserve the historic Sharp Park Golf Course.'
News & Events
- Sign Up For The Alister MacKenzie Heritage Tournament To Preserve Sharp Park - June 8! Wednesday, January 23, 2019Download and submit your entry form for the Eighth Annual Alister MacKenzie Heritage Tournament to Preserve Sharp Park Golf Course. Join us for a day of golf, good times, and fundraising. This tournament is our primary fund-raising event to preserve the Mackenzie vision at Sharp Park for future generations.
- The MacKenzie Public Golf Vision - A New Year Message from the Founders Friday, January 4, 2019The words, work and vision of Alister MacKenzie were our inspiration when we founded the San Francisco Public Golf Alliance. Preserving and restoring his vision at Sharp Park will guide our efforts in 2019 and beyond.
- Recap: Seventh Annual Alister MacKenzie Tournament to Save Sharp Park Monday, July 23, 2018The course was beautiful as always. The greens were as good as they have been in years. Some days, Sharp Park can just overwhelm you with its combination of beauty, history, art, recreation, and community. This was one of those days.
- Sharparkology 101: A lecture at the Pacifica Historical Society Monday, June 25, 2018SFPGA President "Professor" Richard Harris discusses the origins of golf in Scotland, its early history in America, the central place held by Alister MacKenzie in the history and practice of world golf architecture, and the artistry of his work at Sharp Park.
- UPDATE: The 2018 Online Silent Auction Concluded.
Congratulations to the winning bidders. Thursday, May 17, 2018The Seventh Annual Alister MacKenzie Benefit Tournament is on Saturday, May 26, but on-line bidding for the silent auction is open now! Bid on fantastic courses and golf adventures including Bandon Dunes, Friar's Head and Royal Dornoch. All auction proceeds go to our ongoing campaign to Save and Preserve Sharp Park.