California Assembly Resolution re Sharp Park Golf Course Historic Preservation Day
SACRAMENTO: California Assemblyman Jerry Hill (D. San Mateo) and State Senator Dr. Leland Yee (D. San Francisco), by Members Resolution No. 976, recognized May 19, 2012 as 'Sharp Park Historic Preservation Day.' (A copy of the Resolution can be downloaded - 6MB- by clicking here.)
The Resolution was presented by San Mateo County Supervisor Carole Groom on May 19 to Sharp Park Golf Course supporters, who rallied at the golf course for the Sharp Park 80th Anniversary Tournament and Celebration.
The Resolution recites that May, 2012 has been declared National Preservation Month, and that Sharp Park Golf Course has been designated an Historical Resource by both San Francisco Planning Department and the Pacifica Historical Society, and has been designated a nationally-significant, at-risk cultural landscape by the Washington D.C.-based Cultural Landscape Foundation. The golf course is the work of internationally-preeminent golf architect Alister MacKenzie. And since its opening in 1932, Sharp Park Golf Course has served as a social and community center for the Sharp Park District of Pacifica, and serves as well as the home of high school golf teams from San Francisco and Pacifica, and serves as the venue for fundraising activities for San Francisco and Peninsula churches, schools, social organizations, an charities.
Assemblyman Hill--whose 19th Assembly District includes the cities of Northern San Mateo County, and Senator Yee-- whose 8th Senatorial District includes San Francisco and Northern San Mateo County, concluded their Resolution by 'encourag[ing] the residents of San Francisco and San Mateo counties to participate in efforts to preserve the historic Sharp Park Golf Course.'
News & Events
- Munis Are the Soul of Golf - Some fall press selections for your reading enjoyment Sunday, October 6, 2019For your reading enjoyment, a Fall, 2019 golfing press sampler on the joy and importance of municipal golf courses to local communities, the game at large, and efforts to renovate and restore munis nationwide.
- Sign Up for the Mayor Ed Lee Legacy Golf Tournament at Crystal Springs Oct 27, 2019! Sunday, September 22, 2019The Tradition Continues! Support the charitable causes important to the late great Mayor Ed Lee by joining us for a fun day of golf.
- National Golf Press Clippings:
Sharp Park is the Top US Priority for Muni Golf Restoration Wednesday, June 26, 2019For your reading enjoyment, a quick summer sampler from the 2019 national golfing press on the importance of Muni Golf in general and Sharp Park in particular.
- On-Line Bidding For The Silent Auction Is Now Closed. Thanks To All Who Participated. Tuesday, May 28, 2019The Silent Auction for the Eighth Annual Alister MacKenzie Heritage Benefit Tournament was concluded on June 8. All auction proceeds will go to our ongoing campaign to Save and Preserve Sharp Park.
- Women's Golf Day at Sharp Park on Sunday, June 9! Monday, April 29, 2019The Sharp Park Business Women's Golf Club and San Francisco Mayor's Women's Golf Council invite you to celebrate Women's Golf Day at Sharp Park on June 9.