Sharp Park Sneak Attack Tabled Indefinitely
On Monday, Dec. 3, the Land Use Committee of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors 'Tabled ' indefinitely a draft Resolution sponsored by Supervisor Christina Olague, that would have aborted the nearly-four-year-old Environmental Review process for a Rec & Park Sharp Park Plan to recover frog and snake habitat, while saving the 80-year-old Alister MacKenzie-designed 18-hole golf course. Supervisor Olague herself, with an assist from Supervisor Scott Wiener, moved to 'Table' the Resolution; the motion was adopted by the Committee without objection. A video of the Land Use Committee's Dec. 3 proceedings (Sharp Park occupies the opening 4 minutes) can be found at: http://sanfrancisco.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=12
The Olague Resolution was supported by anti-golf groups, including the Tucson-based Center for Biological Diversity, Wild Equity Institute, and by the Sierra Club's San Francisco Bay Chapter. San Francisco Public Golf Alliance led the opposition.
Special thanks to: the several dozen Alliance members who wrote e-mails and letters to the Supervisors, opposing the Olague Resolution; and to the additional handful who personally attended and monitored the Land Use Committee meetings on Nov. 19 and Dec. 3.
Under Board of Supervisors' procedural rules, the 'tabling' of draft legislation does not kill the bill; rather, it means the bill will go into a kind of legislative limbo; the legislation can be revived by any one Supervisor, calling at a meeting of the Full Board for the Land Use Committee to conduct a public hearing on the matter, on no less than 6 days' notice.
Save Sharp Park!
News & Events
- Sign Up For The Alister MacKenzie Heritage Tournament To Preserve Sharp Park - June 8! Wednesday, January 23, 2019Download and submit your entry form for the Eighth Annual Alister MacKenzie Heritage Tournament to Preserve Sharp Park Golf Course. Join us for a day of golf, good times, and fundraising. This tournament is our primary fund-raising event to preserve the Mackenzie vision at Sharp Park for future generations.
- Lake Merced Hosts LPGA Mediheal Championship April 29 - May 5 Monday, April 8, 2019Don’t Miss 144 of the World’s Best LPGA Golfers competing for a $1.8 million dollar purse at the historic Lake Merced Golf Club.
- The MacKenzie Public Golf Vision - A New Year Message from the Founders Friday, January 4, 2019The words, work and vision of Alister MacKenzie were our inspiration when we founded the San Francisco Public Golf Alliance. Preserving and restoring his vision at Sharp Park will guide our efforts in 2019 and beyond.
- Recap: Seventh Annual Alister MacKenzie Tournament to Save Sharp Park Monday, July 23, 2018The course was beautiful as always. The greens were as good as they have been in years. Some days, Sharp Park can just overwhelm you with its combination of beauty, history, art, recreation, and community. This was one of those days.
- Sharparkology 101: A lecture at the Pacifica Historical Society Monday, June 25, 2018SFPGA President "Professor" Richard Harris discusses the origins of golf in Scotland, its early history in America, the central place held by Alister MacKenzie in the history and practice of world golf architecture, and the artistry of his work at Sharp Park.