Sink Putts, Save Sharp Park!Putting Tournament to Benefit SF Public Golf Alliance
at The Golf Lab in San Carlos, CA, Saturday, August 14
Leith Anderson and David Balbi, proprietors of the Golf Lab on the Peninsula, and members of San Francisco Public Golf Alliance, will hold a Grand Opening celebration Saturday, August 14 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at their new golf teaching and fitting facility on Industrial Rd. in San Carlos. In addition to free lunch from Noon to 3 p.m. from “the Peninsula’s best taco truck,” Golf Lab will conduct an all-day putting tournament on their new Mark Sweeney-designed 1500-square-foot indoor putting green. Practice and Qualifying rounds are Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., with putt-off matches for the Round of 16 beginning around 5 p.m.
The only sure winner will be the San Francisco Public Golf Alliance, for the continued defense of Sharp Park Golf Course. The Alliance will be the beneficiary of all tournament proceeds. Thank you Golf Lab.
Mark Sweeney, a former Hewlett-Packard engineer, is a golf inventor and founder of AimPoint, the science-based green-reading system that is used in GolfChannel tournament broadcasts to map the break of putts. Golf Lab is AimPoint’s new California representative. Sweeney will be in San Carlos this weekend for the Golf Lab festivities.
What: Golf Lab Grand Opening and Putting Tournament
To Benefit Public Golf Alliance’s efforts to Save Sharp Park
Where: The Golf Lab
1100 Industrial Rd., #10
(in the south parking lot, intersection of Industrial Way and Brittan)
When: Saturday, August 14, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
How Much: $5 donation for each 9-hole round (practice and qualifying)
Prize: $500 Edel putter and putter-fitting to the winner
Free Lunch: “Best Taco Truck on the Peninsula”
Exit the Bayshore Freeway at Whipple Ave. in Redwood City; go west to Industrial Way (approx. ¼ mile), then north on Industrial to Brittan (approx. 1 mile). You can’t make a U-turn at that intersection so go left and duck into the industrial park with the blue roofs on your left. Circle the building until you find Unit 10.
News & Events
- Sign Up For The Alister MacKenzie Heritage Tournament To Preserve Sharp Park - June 8! Wednesday, January 23, 2019Download and submit your entry form for the Eighth Annual Alister MacKenzie Heritage Tournament to Preserve Sharp Park Golf Course. Join us for a day of golf, good times, and fundraising. This tournament is our primary fund-raising event to preserve the Mackenzie vision at Sharp Park for future generations.
- Lake Merced Hosts LPGA Mediheal Championship April 29 - May 5 Monday, April 8, 2019Don’t Miss 144 of the World’s Best LPGA Golfers competing for a $1.8 million dollar purse at the historic Lake Merced Golf Club.
- The MacKenzie Public Golf Vision - A New Year Message from the Founders Friday, January 4, 2019The words, work and vision of Alister MacKenzie were our inspiration when we founded the San Francisco Public Golf Alliance. Preserving and restoring his vision at Sharp Park will guide our efforts in 2019 and beyond.
- Recap: Seventh Annual Alister MacKenzie Tournament to Save Sharp Park Monday, July 23, 2018The course was beautiful as always. The greens were as good as they have been in years. Some days, Sharp Park can just overwhelm you with its combination of beauty, history, art, recreation, and community. This was one of those days.
- Sharparkology 101: A lecture at the Pacifica Historical Society Monday, June 25, 2018SFPGA President "Professor" Richard Harris discusses the origins of golf in Scotland, its early history in America, the central place held by Alister MacKenzie in the history and practice of world golf architecture, and the artistry of his work at Sharp Park.