Alister MacKenzie's Legacy of Public Golf at Sharp Park
- by: San Francisco Public Golf Alliance
This book is a labor of love from golf photographer extraordinaire Brad Knipstein and San Francisco Public Golf Alliance founders Richard Harris and Bo Links. It was made possible by a generous donation from NetSuite. All proceeds from the sale of the book will help fund the drive to preserve and restore MacKenzie's Sharp Park for future generations.
Click Book For Preview
Dr. Alister MacKenzie is known the world over as one of the preeminent golf course architects of all time. He created Cypress Point, Augusta National and Royal Melbourne, among others. One of his greatest creations is the public course at Sharp Park, located just 10 miles south of San Francisco on the Pacific Coast. The course, which opened for play in 1932, displays MacKenzie's design philosophy in full - multiple tees, dual fairways, cloud shaped bunkers, heaving greens and MacKenize's favorite tool: camouflage. Sharp Park is special for another reason: it is MacKenzie's only seaside public links. When he introduced his original routing to San Francisco golfers in 1930, MacKenzie proclaimed:
"The proposed municipal seaside golf course at Sharp's Park will be as sporty as the old course at St. Andrews, and as picturesque a golf course as any in the world."
Knipstein captures MacKenzie's lost 8th hole
This beautiful coffee-table book commemorates Sharp Park's unique beauty, charm and mystique. It is a visual celebration of a course that is truly unlike any other, a masterpiece dedicated to public golfers. Photographer Brad Knipstein's images allow readers to experience MacKenzie's magic at Sharp Park - both as it exists today and as it existed when the course first opened for play. Historic commentary by San Francisco Public Golf Alliance founders Richard Harris and Bo Links compliment Knipstein's stunning photographs. The book also includes historic images as well as a reproduction of the original course map, artfully depicted by Andy Anderson. This book is a true collector's item for every golfer.
Available at Blurb and Amazon.
News & Events
- Sign Up For The Alister MacKenzie Heritage Tournament To Preserve Sharp Park - June 8! Wednesday, January 23, 2019Download and submit your entry form for the Eighth Annual Alister MacKenzie Heritage Tournament to Preserve Sharp Park Golf Course. Join us for a day of golf, good times, and fundraising. This tournament is our primary fund-raising event to preserve the Mackenzie vision at Sharp Park for future generations.
- The MacKenzie Public Golf Vision - A New Year Message from the Founders Friday, January 4, 2019The words, work and vision of Alister MacKenzie were our inspiration when we founded the San Francisco Public Golf Alliance. Preserving and restoring his vision at Sharp Park will guide our efforts in 2019 and beyond.
- Recap: Seventh Annual Alister MacKenzie Tournament to Save Sharp Park Monday, July 23, 2018The course was beautiful as always. The greens were as good as they have been in years. Some days, Sharp Park can just overwhelm you with its combination of beauty, history, art, recreation, and community. This was one of those days.
- Sharparkology 101: A lecture at the Pacifica Historical Society Monday, June 25, 2018SFPGA President "Professor" Richard Harris discusses the origins of golf in Scotland, its early history in America, the central place held by Alister MacKenzie in the history and practice of world golf architecture, and the artistry of his work at Sharp Park.
- UPDATE: The 2018 Online Silent Auction Concluded.
Congratulations to the winning bidders. Thursday, May 17, 2018The Seventh Annual Alister MacKenzie Benefit Tournament is on Saturday, May 26, but on-line bidding for the silent auction is open now! Bid on fantastic courses and golf adventures including Bandon Dunes, Friar's Head and Royal Dornoch. All auction proceeds go to our ongoing campaign to Save and Preserve Sharp Park.