Alister MacKenzie Society Visits Sharp Park
- by: San Francisco Public Golf Alliance
Pacifica, CA., Aug. 4. Golfers from Alister MacKenzie-designed courses around the world—clubs such as Royal Melbourne, Australia, Titirangi, New Zealand, Cork and Lahinch in Ireland, Moortown and Alwoodley in England, Crystal Downs in Michigan, and a handful of California courses, from Valley Club in Montecito to Green Hills (Millbrae), Claremont (Oakland), and Meadow Club (Fairfax)—gathered here on Tuesday, August 4th to try their hand at muni golf at Sharp Park, the world’s only MacKenzie-designed seaside public links.
If the Good Doctor had been there in person, he would have exhorted them: Save Sharp Park!
These MacKenzie devotees were members of the Alister MacKenzie Society, an international association of MacKenzie-designed courses, who gather annually for golf matches and camaraderie at each other’s clubs. The 2015 hosts—Meadow Club in Fairfax and Green Hills Golf Club in Millbrae—organized a Sharp Park field trip so that Society members could play the golf course and get a status report from San Francisco Public Golf Alliance co-founders Bo Links and Richard Harris.
Sharp Park’s dry, brown fairways and slow greens posed unfamiliar challenge to some of the visitors, but all of them appreciated Sharp Park’s beautiful layout and seaside location. “Can’t wait to see the place after it is renovated,” was a typical remark.
Neither can we.
Thanks to Brad Knipstein Photography for contributing photos of a fun day at Sharp ...
News & Events
- Recap: Seventh Annual Alister MacKenzie Tournament to Save Sharp Park Monday, July 23, 2018The course was beautiful as always. The greens were as good as they have been in years. Some days, Sharp Park can just overwhelm you with its combination of beauty, history, art, recreation, and community. This was one of those days.
- Sharparkology 101: A lecture at the Pacifica Historical Society Monday, June 25, 2018SFPGA President "Professor" Richard Harris discusses the origins of golf in Scotland, its early history in America, the central place held by Alister MacKenzie in the history and practice of world golf architecture, and the artistry of his work at Sharp Park.
- UPDATE: The 2018 Online Silent Auction Concluded.
Congratulations to the winning bidders. Thursday, May 17, 2018The Seventh Annual Alister MacKenzie Benefit Tournament is on Saturday, May 26, but on-line bidding for the silent auction is open now! Bid on fantastic courses and golf adventures including Bandon Dunes, Friar's Head and Royal Dornoch. All auction proceeds go to our ongoing campaign to Save and Preserve Sharp Park.
- Election Day June 5. Don't forget to vote! Sunday, May 13, 2018On June 5 San Francisco voters will select a new mayor to replace the late Ed Lee. Your vote matters.
The San Francisco Public Golf Alliance Endorses Prop 68 to protect our water, parks, and natural resources.
- Sign up for the Alister MacKenzie Tournament to Preserve Sharp Park - May 26! Monday, January 22, 2018Download and submit your entry form for the Seventh Annual Alister MacKenzie Benefit Tournament to Preserve Sharp Park Golf Course in Pacifica. All proceeds go to supporting the effort to preserve and protect our muni golf gem.