Alister MacKenzie Society Visits Sharp Park
- by: San Francisco Public Golf Alliance
Pacifica, CA., Aug. 4. Golfers from Alister MacKenzie-designed courses around the world—clubs such as Royal Melbourne, Australia, Titirangi, New Zealand, Cork and Lahinch in Ireland, Moortown and Alwoodley in England, Crystal Downs in Michigan, and a handful of California courses, from Valley Club in Montecito to Green Hills (Millbrae), Claremont (Oakland), and Meadow Club (Fairfax)—gathered here on Tuesday, August 4th to try their hand at muni golf at Sharp Park, the world’s only MacKenzie-designed seaside public links.
If the Good Doctor had been there in person, he would have exhorted them: Save Sharp Park!
These MacKenzie devotees were members of the Alister MacKenzie Society, an international association of MacKenzie-designed courses, who gather annually for golf matches and camaraderie at each other’s clubs. The 2015 hosts—Meadow Club in Fairfax and Green Hills Golf Club in Millbrae—organized a Sharp Park field trip so that Society members could play the golf course and get a status report from San Francisco Public Golf Alliance co-founders Bo Links and Richard Harris.
Sharp Park’s dry, brown fairways and slow greens posed unfamiliar challenge to some of the visitors, but all of them appreciated Sharp Park’s beautiful layout and seaside location. “Can’t wait to see the place after it is renovated,” was a typical remark.
Neither can we.
Thanks to Brad Knipstein Photography for contributing photos of a fun day at Sharp ...
News & Events
- Sign Up For The Alister MacKenzie Heritage Tournament To Preserve Sharp Park - June 8! Wednesday, January 23, 2019Download and submit your entry form for the Eighth Annual Alister MacKenzie Heritage Tournament to Preserve Sharp Park Golf Course. Join us for a day of golf, good times, and fundraising. This tournament is our primary fund-raising event to preserve the Mackenzie vision at Sharp Park for future generations.
- Women's Golf Day at Sharp Park on Sunday, June 9! Monday, April 29, 2019The Sharp Park Business Women's Golf Club and San Francisco Mayor's Women's Golf Council invite you to celebrate Women's Golf Day at Sharp Park on June 9.
- Lake Merced Hosts LPGA Mediheal Championship April 29 - May 5 Monday, April 8, 2019Don’t Miss 144 of the World’s Best LPGA Golfers competing for a $1.8 million dollar purse at the historic Lake Merced Golf Club.
- The MacKenzie Public Golf Vision - A New Year Message from the Founders Friday, January 4, 2019The words, work and vision of Alister MacKenzie were our inspiration when we founded the San Francisco Public Golf Alliance. Preserving and restoring his vision at Sharp Park will guide our efforts in 2019 and beyond.
- Recap: Seventh Annual Alister MacKenzie Tournament to Save Sharp Park Monday, July 23, 2018The course was beautiful as always. The greens were as good as they have been in years. Some days, Sharp Park can just overwhelm you with its combination of beauty, history, art, recreation, and community. This was one of those days.