National Interest in Sharp Park Golf Course Restoration
- by: San Francisco Public Golf Alliance
The prospect of restoring the 83 year old Alister MacKenzie municipal masterpiece at Sharp Park continues to garner national attention. Geoff Shackelford discusses the current status with Damon Hack on the Golf Channel's Morning Drive - August 31, 2015:
Recently, Golf Digest highlighted Sharp Park as one of "The Nine Most Cheerful Courses in America":
SHARP PARK GOLF COURSE, PACIFICA, CALIF.
"Few people know that this short, scruffy muny is a links originally designed by Alister MacKenzie--the same guy who did Augusta National. Although altered over the decades by storms and road construction, much of its MacKenzie bones remain. It was saved from closing thanks to the San Francisco Public Golf Alliance, a volunteer organization founded by lawyers Richard Harris and Bo Links. The group is raising philanthropic funds to restore the layout while retaining its populist green-fee rates ($24 in the afternoon). Jay Blasi has prepared a restoration plan, and other prominent architects want to be involved. Meanwhile, the regular crowd continues to happily tee it up, rain or shine, on what they call "the poor man's Pebble Beach."
News & Events
- Looking Back and Moving Forward. A New Year Message from the Founders. Saturday, December 30, 2017The year in review. A look back at 2017 and forward to the year ahead as we move closer to the dream of renewing Sharp Park.
- It's Back! The Save Sharp Park Red Leather Headcover! Saturday, December 30, 2017Our collector’s item red-leather “Save Sharp Park” driver headcover is available again! Get ‘em while they’re hot and while supplies last! Proceeds go to your San Francisco Public Golf Alliance.
- Mayor Ed Lee, San Francisco City Champion Thursday, December 14, 2017“When it counted, Mayor Lee stepped up for public golf and public golfers. He knew from his own life how important golf can be to people. Public course golfers never had a better friend.”
- In Memory of Herb Lee Tuesday, November 21, 2017San Francisco’s First Chinese-American cop and long-time Sharp Park golf regular, passes on to greener fairways.
- Simply the Best: Golf Architecture at Sharp Park Wednesday, November 1, 2017“Sharp Park is more than a golf course; it is a test case for how much we care about public golf.”