We have much to be thankful for in 2015
- by: San Francisco Public Golf Alliance
As we give thanks and enjoy the holiday season with friends and family, we look back on an eventful 2015 with gratitude and appreciation to the members, supporters and volunteers who support the mission
of the San Francisco Public Golf Alliance. A reminder of some of what we were thankful for over the last year:
The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, San Francisco Superior Court, and San Mateo County Superior Courts in 2015 all dismissed lawsuits from the anti-golf crowd to halt golf and/or block San Francisco’s Sharp Park Golf Course renovation projects.
We cannot thank enough the good offices of Morrison Foerster, in particular partner Chris Carr - Chair of the firm's Environment and Energy Group - for their tireless pro-bono efforts in defense of Sharp Park and Bay Area Public Golfers.
We are grateful for the World Golf Championship held at TPC Harding Park - the crown jewel of our San Francisco municipal golf course gems. It was a great event that garnered national attention and put a spotlight on San Francisco as a world class public golf destination.
Golfers had a big victory in April, when the California Coastal Commissioners unanimously supported San Francisco's Sharp Park Safety, Infrastructure Improvement and Habitat Enhancement Project which will enhance both habitat recovery and golf course renovation work at Sharp Park.
Lets not forget the gardeners, greenskeepers, management and staff of the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department for their hard work navigating the regulatory labyrinth to support these projects and maintain our beautiful, scenic, and historic, landmark public courses.
We are enormously grateful for all the participants and sponsors of our Fourth Annual Alister Mackenzie Benefit Tournament For Sharp Park. It was a great event, great fun, and eventually we'll get around to posting some pictures of the day.
We want to thank the team at Enlite10 for helping us set up the new website you are reading right now. And we can't forget the generous contribution of extraordinary photographs contributed by Brad Knipstein that you'll find in our book, throughout this website, and on our Instagram account. Oh... and that turkey on the top of this post... Brad took that shot too.
Most recently, we are thankful for work completed in October on the First Phase of San Francisco’s Sharp Park renovation project, including construction of a new frog pond south of the golf course, dredging of cattails to improve frog habitat in the wetlands at the western edge of the golf course, a new cart path near the 14th green, a new culvert and cart bridge at Hole #12, and worker safety improvements at the pump house. Also, new greens were built in October-November at Holes Nos. 4, 5, 6, and 7, and will be open for play in Spring, 2016.
2016 will bring new challenges in fending-off the anti-golf crowd’s attacks; and we will continue to work with public agencies and officials in San Francisco, San Mateo County, and Pacifica towards the goal of renovating Alister MacKenzie’s historic links, while recovering compatible habitat for frogs and snakes. Hang in there with us.
If, in this Season of Sharing, you can provide some financial help, in any amount, for our common fight to Save Sharp Park, we appreciate it . San Francisco Public Golf Alliance is a 501.c.3 non-profit, public benefit organization.
Here's to 2016!
News & Events
- Munis Are the Soul of Golf - Some fall press selections for your reading enjoyment Sunday, October 6, 2019For your reading enjoyment, a Fall, 2019 golfing press sampler on the joy and importance of municipal golf courses to local communities, the game at large, and efforts to renovate and restore munis nationwide.
- Sign Up for the Mayor Ed Lee Legacy Golf Tournament at Crystal Springs Oct 27, 2019! Sunday, September 22, 2019The Tradition Continues! Support the charitable causes important to the late great Mayor Ed Lee by joining us for a fun day of golf.
- National Golf Press Clippings:
Sharp Park is the Top US Priority for Muni Golf Restoration Wednesday, June 26, 2019For your reading enjoyment, a quick summer sampler from the 2019 national golfing press on the importance of Muni Golf in general and Sharp Park in particular.
- On-Line Bidding For The Silent Auction Is Now Closed. Thanks To All Who Participated. Tuesday, May 28, 2019The Silent Auction for the Eighth Annual Alister MacKenzie Heritage Benefit Tournament was concluded on June 8. All auction proceeds will go to our ongoing campaign to Save and Preserve Sharp Park.
- Women's Golf Day at Sharp Park on Sunday, June 9! Monday, April 29, 2019The Sharp Park Business Women's Golf Club and San Francisco Mayor's Women's Golf Council invite you to celebrate Women's Golf Day at Sharp Park on June 9.